Saturday, August 8, 2009

How To Find A Good Visual Argument

Some of you are techie wizards -- that's how I became one -- former students taught me a few tricks. (And I look forward to learning some more from this year's class.)

So techie trick #1 -- if you want to find a good image on the Internet, type a description of what you are looking for in your favorite search engine. I use both Google and Bing (Microsoft's new search engine- it's pretty cool). I found my visual argument by searching on "editorial cartoons."

Once your search results are returned, click on "images" from the options at the top of the screen. This will return only pictures. Once you find a picture you like, you can save it to your desktop following these steps: (< = select, going forward)

1. < show full size image

2. right click on image with your mouse

3. < Save Picture As...

4. In the dialogue box that pops up, first decide where you want to save this image. I save to My Pictures, but I also created unique folders in My Pictures. For example, I have an "AP Language" folder under "My Pictures."

5. After you know where you are going to stick this image, rename it so you can find it later. My visual argument is saved thus: My Pictures < APLang < Visual Argument_Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment